"There is so much negativity in our church. What can we do?"
Some form of that question has come my way many times. The negativity may be in the form of murmuring. Sometimes it is more overt criticism and personal attacks. Yet in other cases, it is a more ill-defined atmosphere of defeat and despair.
What can a pastor or church leader do to help move the congregation more positively? After hearing from pastors and church leaders, I can offer five suggested paths that have proved fruitful in other churches.
1. Call for a time of prayer. "Our congregation was inwardly focused. We seemed to be constantly sniping at one another. I asked 20 people in the church to join me for 30 days of prayer, including fasting every seventh day. It was amazing to see attitudes shift so positively so quickly."
2. Lead a major ministry or service effort in the community. "We 'adopted' fifty first responders in our community. One family would seek to care for a first responder for praying for him or her, asking how we could help, or even babysitting their children. We saw our congregation move from an inward focus to an outward focus."
3. Ask for forgiveness. "We were in the doldrums. It was evident when we had a vote to call a staff member, and he was barely affirmed. When I announced the vote to the congregation the next Sunday, I took responsibility for not leading well and asked the church to forgive me. I really believe that moment was a turning point in our congregation."
4. Get a fresh perspective. "I called it 'the congregational blahs.' There was no major crisis in the church, just a sense that we were barely treading water. Another pastor told me about an affordable coaching ministry. It not only gave me a fresh perspective, but it also gave me a fresh start in the church. The members followed my leadership with a reinvigorated attitude."
5. Make a commitment to stay. "Every time our church hit a bump, or when we would go through some times of struggles, I would think about leaving. No, I didn't announce it to the church, but my attitude was not one of commitment. In my prayer time one morning, I asked God to give me a long-term perspective in the church. It was an amazing turnaround for me. From that point, I didn't let the crisis or the problem of the moment tempt me to think of greener pastures. I had a renewed attitude and the congregation followed."
Those are five stories of leaders who led their churches out of the doldrums to a renewed and reinvigorated spirit. Often the leaders saw the need to make adjustments with their own attitudes and leadership.
I know there are other stories in churches out there. I would love to hear yours.
Thom S. Rainer is the president of LifeWay Christian Resources.
This article originally appeared at thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.